Saturday, February 15, 2014

Blessings of A Story Behind The Story

Previously posted on my Facebook Timeline. Definitely worth repeating here on... Steps of Faith
.  In recognition of African-American History Month, I was invited to
a White House visit and Tour as a guest of the Cameroon American Council (CAC) on Friday, February 14th. The other CAC guests were from more than ten (10) states (i.w. New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, DC, North Carolina, California, Georgia, Delaware, Pennsylvania, etc) and more than ten (10) countries in Africa (i.e. Nigeria, Guinea, Ghana, Sierra Leone, Benin, South Africa, Liberia, Mali, Senegal, Gambia and other African descendants). I truly enjoyed meeting and networking with the other guests especially the African delegation from New York. The Tour showcased numerous occasions featuring President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama with prominent leaders and at events that celebrated the past and present roles of African-Americans in the history of the United States. In addition, the Tour highlighted several historical moments in which African-American leaders and cultural icons were recognized at the White House by five (5) past Presidents. 
.
Although it was an awesome cultural experience, there is a "story" behind the story! It is always amazing how a person's day can be unknowingly impacted by others' actions - may it be a smile, word or an invitation to the White House. While traveling to the nation's capital, Washington, D.C. on a morning commuter train to attend the event, I encountered a lady as a seatmate at one of several stations. Almost immediately in our "polite" conversation, it became evident that she was a sister-in-Christ with an amazing story of God's goodness and mercy. As I told her that I had a friend who lived in the local town without mentioning my friend’s name but I made a mental note to call my friend soon. When she told me that her name was Diane, I could only smile. 
.  What a blessing! The train ride is usually reserved for reading or photo-taking. On this Friday, it became one of my most enjoyable train trips to DC. God always know what we need even if we don't. On the snowy morning of Feb 14th, He knew that one of His weary servants needed a "Koinonia moment". There is indeed refreshing power in His Word; Christian fellowship and unity. I almost missed the moment due to several little "distractions". What a blessing to just sit and share stories reflecting the power and goodness of a loving Father on Valentine's Day. What an awesome story of God's healing power and mercy shared by my seatmate, Diane. 
. Immediately I knew why there had been so many "distractions" earlier. There is no doubt in my mind... spiritual warfare is real! Amazingly, my "Restart: Stepping Out in Faith" devotional for the day was centered on Nehemiah 6:5-9. Regardless of the "distractions" when God has a message, task, or someone to place on your path, Nothing can stop what God has deemed. Although, God's plan has not been fully revealed, I pray for "strength for the task" following the example of Nehemiah and other faithful believers. 
.  Just when you thought that it was the end of the story (or encounter), the story got better at the end of a delightful day at the White House. During the Tour, it was indeed a blessing to experience the uplifting and powerful performance of The Andrew Rankin Memorial Chapel Choir from Howard University. They literally had some of the visitors rocking, clapping, and "having church" on the spot. Believe it or not, I met my morning seatmate, Diane again on a departing commuter train at Washington's Union station even after walking through three or more "standing room only" cars. As I turned to advance to another car, I saw my morning seatmate. Only God could have placed her on my path again and have her sitting beside a vacant seat on a much crowded commuter train. Our morning conversation picked up as if we had never parted. It got even better... the name of my friend that I made a note to call is "Diane". Now I know two Dianes in Bowie and one was Indeed my "Valentine Angel" from God!
At the end of the day, I had to smile and give praise as I could almost heard God whispering, "See What I can do regardless how small; so let me handle the big stuff too". Thus, “my story” behind the story. 
. I humbly thank God for a wonderful day and those placed on my path! God is good! 
.

2 comments:

Friend of Jesus said...

Thanks! Good Job. Check out my blog if you get a chance, lifestyleofpeace.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hello from sweden with joy to move on by steps in faith to glory to glory and from the power to power and from joy to joy in jesus name ,thanks and bless and pray for me ,keijo sweden

You are invited to read and reflect on...